I am not speaking to the press,
says Alfred Mifsud
Labour Partys vigilance board decision on Saturday to publicly
warn Alfred Mifsud not to continue "harming the Labour Party"
in his articles came as a bolt from the blue after the good publicity
the party enjoyed from the visit of the European socialists.
Ill-timed and ill-conceived, the statement did not say what type of
damage Alfred Mifsud was causing the Labour Party. Silence from the
party leadership has characterised the whole affair. The public chiding
of Mr Mifsud contrasts heavily with what Dr Alfred Sant told the media
on Friday about the importance of divergent opinions, in relation to
the behaviour of Karmenu Mifsud Bonnici.
Contacted yesterday by The Malta Financial and Business Times, Alfred
Mifsud would not comment on the issue.
"I am not speaking to the press on the issue," was the Labour
candidates curt reply.
The vigilance boards warning had already been delivered to Mr
Mifsud privately two weeks ago. No explanation was given why the board
decided to go public with its statement, even though Mr Mifsud had replied
to the accusations levelled against him.
Close aides to Mr Mifsud said that he is weighing the possibility of
publishing the reply he had sent the vigilance board.
The pro-active action adopted by the vigilance board in Mr Mifsuds
case jars with previous far more serious cases involving Labour candidates
and in which the board decided not to take action. Two such cases involved
MPs Prof. Louis Buhagiar and notary Joe Cilia, the former attributed
with allegations of overcharging and the latter with accusations of
alleged sexual harassment. In either case the vigilance board was no
where to be seen.
The Malta Financial and Business Times yesterday tried contacting the
chairman of the vigilance board Tommy Roberts at his home. However,
the newspaper was informed that Mr Roberts was out and was not returning
home before late at night.