MediaToday

NEWS | Wednesday, 30 January 2008

Gozo looks forward to carnival bonus

David Darmanin

Gozitan owners of small enterprises seem to be over-all positive on the expected outcome of this year’s carnival season. It is not said however, that registered increases in Gozo Ferry passengers automatically equate into better sales for the tourism sector.
“In January of 2008, Gozo Channel registered a 5% increase of passengers over January of last year,” a spokesperson for Gozo Channel told this newspaper.
“We are also expecting a considerable increase in passengers over the coming weekend,” he added. “In fact, we shall be organising a shuttle service by day and a trip every 90 minutes through the night during the coming weekend.”
There is a general expectation of an improvement in tourism figures for Gozo this February over last.
Franky Magro, who owns a guesthouse and organises a series of water and land excursions, warned: “Especially during off peak months, an increase in ferry passengers does not necessarily translate into an improvement in the Gozitan tourism industry.” He explained that over the past years, the property market in Gozo has boomed, among Maltese families in particular. “If they own their own property, cook their own food, and spend time relaxing in their own holiday house – how are restaurants, entertainment venues and excursion providers going to gain?”
On the other hand, Magro noticed that during carnival week, although bed nights tend to be shorter than during Easter holidays, business takes a boost half way through low season. “We’re noticing a considerable improvement this carnival week. I think people have more money in their pockets now.”
Gozo Channel claimed that events during carnival week have increased to the extent that this weekend has become more popular than Easter or Santa Maria.
Toni Farrugia, owner-manager of artisan restaurant Ta’ Furnar said : “Business here has slightly improved this carnival, by 10%, if I had to give an off-the-cuff figure. It might be due to the weather being on our side this year.” Explaining why carnival marks the most important winter weekend for his operation, Farrugia said : “Business in carnival increases by almost double. It often turns out to be better than Easter, weather permitting. This may be due to the fact that carnival is very popular with Maltese tourists, whereas Easter is still largely a foreign tourist season. It is known that, in general, the Maltese are better spenders.”
Martin Portelli, who rents out farmhouses, told Business Today that he usually fills up his farmhouses on carnival weekend, so business is always pretty much the same. “I have noticed however, that Gozo will be very busy this carnival since I had more than fifty requests for farmhouse rentals over the coming weekend. Of course, I had to turn them down as my properties were already pre-booked,” he said. “Of course, one has to keep in mind that a farmhouse is often rented for three days during carnival, whereas on other winter days, bed nights are normally longer. This factor hugely affects our business.”
Portelli, who also owns a restaurant, carried on explaining how the closure of a number of hotels in Gozo has increased business in farmhouse accommodation “but it certainly hasn’t helped the catering industry.”

[email protected]

30 January 2009
ISSUE NO. 520

The Web
Business Today

Collaborating partners:

www.german-maltese.com

Malta Today

illum

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 07, Malta, Europe Tel. ++356 21382741, Fax: ++356 21385075