MediaToday

NEWS | Wednesday, 20 February 2008

New director of food and beverage for InterContinental Malta

InterContinental Malta has recently welcomed Italian national, Gianluca Scala to the team as director of food and beverage. Scala, has moved from the Molino Stucky Hilton in Venice, where he was food and beverage manager, responsible for taking this department through from the pre-opening stage to opening. Previously he was group director of food and beverage with Royal Demeure.
This was after a couple of years at Rocco Forte’s Hotel Amigo in Brussels, where he organized the opening and launch of the hotel’s Bocconi Restaurant. After studying business administration at university in Rome, Mr Scala spent two years of military service as a lieutenant in the air force. He then worked with his family’s business for some years, before taking off to London to start his career at various five star hotels in Europe. He is a fluent speaker of Italian, English, French and Spanish.
Scala will spearhead the Food and Beverage operations of InterContinental Malta, which total seven restaurants and three bars including the stylish Paranga Restaurant at the InterContinental Beach Club in St. George’s Bay. His responsibilities also include the hotel’s conference and banqueting services and facilities, which are amongst the largest on the Island.
Scala joined InterContinental Hotel Group because the company looks to the future and “also there is a lot of interest in people”. When asked of his initial impression of Malta, he commented, “ I like Malta because it is a relaxing place to live. I enjoy the pace here and I hope that my experience in a highly competitive city market like Venice, can help develop the same culture here.”

20 February 2008
ISSUE NO. 523

The Web
Business Today

Collaborating partners:

www.german-maltese.com

Malta Today

illum

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 07, Malta, Europe Tel. ++356 21382741, Fax: ++356 21385075
Managing Editor: Saviour Balzan