MediaToday

Health | Wednesday, 30 July 2008

Sun Protection Factors in Sunscreens

How do they work?
Chemical Sunscreens absorb UV Rays lowering the energy level and releasing energy as heat.
Physical Sunscreens reflect or scatter the energy rays. They are non-chemical and therefore less irritating. It is important to understand that, even though you may be using a sunscreen, some UVB rays will still penetrate through skin.

• SPF2 product protects your skin from 50 per cent of the UVB rays, so you can stay in the sun twice as long as you would be able to without protection.

• An SPF8 blocks 87.5 per cent of the rays, leaving 12.5 per cent to penetrate and burn your skin.

• An SPF15 blocks 93.33 per cent of UVB and some UVA rays. And finally, an SPF30 blocks 96.6 per cent of UVB and some UVA rays.

While it may seem that a product with an SPF50 or higher would offer a full percentage rate of protection from UV rays, it is mostly comprised of an increased level of chemicals, which can cause a higher rate of irritation in skin.

Application
Most importantly, when you use a sunscreen, make sure you apply an adequate amount to ensure you are getting the desired SPF. That’s generally about one teaspoon for the face and a full ounce (approximately 1/8 cup) for complete body coverage. And unless you are using a waterproof formulation, reapply sunscreen whenever you swim, exercise or sweat profusely. In this case, the old adage holds true... if a little is good, more must be better. The National Cancer Society recommends re-application every 2 hrs.
Information is brought to you by Dermalogica Skin Care www.dermalogica.com.
For more information contact Biocare Ltd on 21 42 44 01/2/3 freephone : 80074100 email : info@biocaremalta.com

 


30 July 2008
ISSUE NO. 546


The Web
Business Today

Collaborating partners:


www.german-maltese.com


Malta Today

illum


 

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 07, Malta, Europe Tel. ++356 21382741, Fax: ++356 21385075
Managing Editor: Saviour Balzan