13 MARCH 2002

Search all issues

powered by FreeFind

Send Your Feedback!

Women still missing out on technical work

Women are still opting for "traditional" careers in the caring professions and are failing to take up opportunities in developing sectors where technical skills are required, such as engineering and IT.

Antoinette Caruana, head of human resources at Brandstatter – Malta, highlighted the fact that when the company began operating 30 years ago, the workforce used to be primarily female.

"Now that the work is much more technical, the female workforce has reduced," she admitted. "Unfortunately, as we all know, women still tend to focus on the traditional areas, such as teaching and the caring professions.

We still need to address the issue of the shortfall of women in certain sectors of the workforce."

Ms Caruana, who is interviewed in today’s issue of this newspaper, said she was not keen on the idea of "having a women’s day in our calendar", which was marked last Friday.

"But when I look at what a lot we still need to achieve, I revise my views on these sort of activities, because they do, at least, draw attention to the issue," she said.

Ms Caruana said that Brandstatter – Malta, which makes the Playmobil toys, has a very busy year ahead.

"Our order books are full, which is great news for the company, and the coming year will involve a move since we will be opening a new factory in Hal Far, which is a very exciting project," she said.

The Business Times, Network House, Vjal ir-Rihan San Gwann SGN 07
Tel: (356) 382741-3, 382745-6 | Fax: (356) 385075 | e-mail: [email protected]